Welcome to Nihongo Japanese Blog!

I've been posting Japanese words on my Instagram @nihongo_japanese since August 2017.
I'd like to write interesting things about Japanese language and culture on this page.
Please feel free to leave a comment! Enjoy :)


Summer in Japan

Jul 6, 2019

日本の文化 (Japanese Culture)

Hello. It’s been a while since I posted on this blog.
I’ve heard that some people are taking JLPT test today. Good luck!
Today is the Star Festival in Japan. If you don’t know about 七夕 たなばた festival, please watch this video I made last year.



In Japan, summer starts right after the rainy season.
It rained a lot where I live the past few weeks, and is definitely getting hotter day by day.
This year, 七夕 is on Sunday. I’m pretty sure there are events everywhere in Japan today.
I am still recovering from the sickness and I haven’t bought my 浴衣(ゆかた) Yukata (casual summer kimono) yet, plus I have no one to go out with, so I’m here at my house writing this blog lol

The students are looking forward to having their summer vacations from the 20th of July to the 1st of September. People who work at the companies including me, don’t have such a long vacation, but we do have a short vacation in the summer. It is called お盆(ぼん), the Bon Festival in English. It’s a Japanese traditional event to honor our ancestors. People believe that the ancestors come back on お盆. The customs are vary by region, but people usually light a welcome fire and celebrate the return of our ancestors sprits. Some people wear Yukata and dances 盆踊(ぼんおど)り Bon Dance. It’s the Japanese culture/tradition, so most of the companies are closed and people have some time off with their family.

I think the most companies are off from the 10th to the 18th of August this year. I still gotta work on Saturdays but I will have some days off during お盆.
Do you have any traditional event like お盆 in your country?
Please let me know in the comment.


By the way, I opened a P.O. Box.
If you want to practice your writing in Japanese, you can send me a post card or a letter anytime.
I will write you back.

Here’s an address.

“Nihongo Japanese”
1-4-14 Tamatsukuri, Chuuou-ku, Osaka-shi, Osaka, JAPAN 540-0004

Please write your username on your Instagram if you send me a card or a letter, so I can let you know when I received your letter and notify you when I send a letter back to you.

Hope you have a nice weekend!