Welcome to Nihongo Japanese Blog!

I've been posting Japanese words on my Instagram @nihongo_japanese since August 2017.
I'd like to write interesting things about Japanese language and culture on this page.
Please feel free to leave a comment! Enjoy :)


★Japanese Particle と

May 4, 2019

助詞 Japanese Particles



Connect nouns / pronouns
It usually translates as “and” in English. It can’t be used to connect phrases.

英語日本語を話します。
えいごとにほんごをはなします
I speak Japanese and English.

ケーキコーヒーを頼みました。
ケーキとコーヒーをたのみました
I ordered a cake and coffee.

牛乳バターを買い忘れた。
ぎゅうにゅうとバターをかいわすれた
I forgot to buy milk and butter.



Accompaniment
It usually translates as “with” in English.

友達買い物に行きました。
ともだちとかいものにいきました
I went shopping with my friend.

ランチを食べた。
ちちとランチをたべた
I had lunch with my father.



Mark quotation
It’s used to introduce a clause and preceded by a plain form of a verb.
It often used before the verb to think / to say / to hear.


明日は晴れる思います。
あしたははれるとおもいます
I think It will be sunny.

彼は金持ちだ言った。
かれはかねもちだといった
He said he’s rich.

ビヨンセが日本に来る聞きました。
ビヨンセがにほんにくるとききました
I heard Beyoncé will come to Japan.



Conditional
It placed after the plain form and usually translates into when / as soon as / if.

家に帰る、ドアのそばに荷物があった。
いえにかえると、ドアのそばににもつがあった
When I got home, there was a package by the door.

家に帰るすぐに寝ます。
いえにかえるとすぐにねます
I go to sleep as soon as I get home.

急ぐ間に合う。
いそぐとまにあう
If you hurry up, you will be in time.