It is getting cooler in Osaka. The wind feels so much cooler.
The air is going to get dry and crisp and you will be able to see the beautiful moon this month.
In the US, people start drinking pumpkin spice latte in September.
I consider it is one of their cultural events in fall lol
In Japan, we have an event called 月見(つきみ).
Have you ever heard of it?
Maybe from Mcdonald’s Japan? lol
They are selling Tsukimi burger every year. The egg looks like the moon, so it is called Tsukimi burger and they sell these for a limited time in fall.
Here is → Mcdonald's Japan 's website. If you are interested, you can check it out. I have already tried the basic Tsukimi burger last week and it was so good.
月見(つきみ) is translated as "Moon viewing" in English.
It used to be an event for farmers in old days. The moon was used to considered as God and they prayed for a good harvest in September.
It has became our Japanese cultural event in September, and we usually make or buy rice dumplings called お月見だんご and decorate some すすき pampas grass which looks like a feather cleaning duster. Those are must-have items for viewing the beautiful moon, but off the record, I actually have never prepared those LOL
The Moon Viewing Day in 2019 is TODAY, September 13th.
It's been raining since this morning where I live, so I am not sure we can view the beautiful moon tonight.
Here are some words related to the moon.
★三日月 みかづき Crescent moon
★半月 はんげつ Half moon
★満月 まんげつ Full moon
In the Japanese old story says that there are rabbits on the moon.
It is because the shape of the lunar craters looks like rabbits pounding rice cake. There are so many interesting stories that does not make any sense, but I think those stories gives free rein to our imagination.
What do you think about 月見(つきみ) event in Japan?
Do you have any events that related to the moon in your country?
If you like this article, please share and let people know about one of our traditional cultural events.





No comments:
Post a Comment