Welcome to Nihongo Japanese Blog!

I've been posting Japanese words on my Instagram @nihongo_japanese since August 2017.
I'd like to write interesting things about Japanese language and culture on this page.
Please feel free to leave a comment! Enjoy :)


★A ながら B "to do B while doing A" [N5]

Feb 15, 2019

JLPT N5 文法 Grammar



Are you good at multi-tasking?
When you do two or more tasks at the same time, you can use ながら to express what you are doing.

A ながら B "to do B while doing A" 

When you make this sentence, you need to know ます form.

ます-Form Chart
「ru」verbs with preceding vowel sound “i” and “e
Remove the last  and add ます
★「uverbs
「る」verbs with preceding vowel sound “a”, “u”, “o”,  “iru” and “eru
Change the last “u” vowel sound to “i” sound and add ます
eat / 
たべ taberu 
たべます tabemasu 
swim / およぐ oyogu (u verb)
およ oyogimasu 
look, watch / 
 miru 
ますmimasu
listen / きく kiku (u verb)
ますkikimasu 
sleep / 
 neru 
ます
 nemasu
talk / はなす hanasu (u verb)
はなますhanashimasu 
wake / 
おき okiru 
おきます 
okimasu
understand / わかる wakaru 
(ru verb with preceding vowel sound “a)
わかます wakarimasu 
be able to do / 
でき dekiru 
できます 
dekimasu
enter / はいる hairu
(ru verb with  “iru” )
はいます hairimasu
wear / 
 kiru 
ますkimasu
go back / かえる kaeru
(ru verb with  “eru” )
かえます kaerimasu 
©️Nihongo Japanese


Group 1 
Dictionary Form
ます-Form
read
よむ
よみます
drink 
のむ
のみます
listen
きく
ききます
brush 
みがく
みがきます
wash
あらう
あらいます
go
いく
いきます
buy
かう
かいます
run
はしる
はしります
ride
のる
のります
understand
わかる
わかります
send
おくる
おくります
swim
およぐ
およぎます
play
あそぶ
あそびます
write 
かく
かきます
speak
はなす
はなします
wait
まつ
まちます
think
おもう
おもいます
receive
もらう
もらいます
Group 2


see
みる
みます
sleep 
ねる
ねます
wake
おきる
おきます
eat
たべる
たべます
Group 3


come
くる
きます
do
する
します
study
べんきょうする
べんきょうします
©️Nihongo Japanese



Now, let's make some sentences.

ますform without ます + ながら

★to study 勉強する→ 勉強します
日本語の勉強しながら、テレビを観ます。
にほんごのべんきょうしながら、テレビをみます。
I watch TV while I'm studying Japanese.



★to listen (to music) 聴く→ 聴きます
音楽を聴きながら、散歩をします。
おんがくをききながら、さんぽをします。
I take a walk while I'm listening to music.



★to play (instruments) 弾く→ 弾きます
ギターを弾きながら、歌えますか?
ギターをひきながら、うたえますか?
Can you sing while you are playing the guitar?



★to drink 飲む→ 飲みます
お酒を飲みながら、友達と話します。
おさけをのみながら、ともだちとはなします。
I talk with my friend while I'm drinking.



★to look 見る→ 見ます
絵を見ながら、質問を聞いてください。
えをみながら、しつもんをきいてください。
Please listen to the questions while you are looking at pictures.