Welcome to Nihongo Japanese Blog!

I've been posting Japanese words on my Instagram @nihongo_japanese since August 2017.
I'd like to write interesting things about Japanese language and culture on this page.
Please feel free to leave a comment! Enjoy :)


The difference between 温かい and 暖かい

Nov 27, 2018

言葉 (Japanese Words)



Do you know the word あたたかい ?
It means "warm" but there are 2 kanji for あたたかい.

温(あたた)かい and 暖(あたた)かい
Even some Japanese people get confused with which kanji to use.


★温(あたた)かい is used for food, bath, air, personality etc.
There are exceptions but this is usually used for something you feel when you touch.

温かいご飯(はん)  warm meal
温かいコーヒー warm (hot) coffee
温かい心(こころ)   warm heart
温かい人(ひと) a warm person


★暖(あたた)かい is used for room, climate, area, atmosphere etc.
There are exceptions but this is usually used for something you feel with your whole body.
この部屋(へや)は暖かい It is warm in this room.
暖かい毛布(もうふ) warm blanket
暖かい色(いろ)  warm color(s)
暖かい日(ひ)  warm day


あったかい a casual way to say both 暖かい and 温かい.
あったかいお茶(ちゃ)を飲(の)む I drink warm tea.
今日はあったかい Today is warm.